Pages

Tuesday 22 August 2017

Fierce Foot - 28mm Gripping Beast

So the other day, I was lucky enough to get to play in a big game of Lion Rampant at the Kirriemuir club. The figures and terrain were all provided by club members, and were spectacular.

The Table... Norman Castle at Shrewsbury
The Welsh - a nautical people, complete with ladders

Let Battle be unconstrained! My Leader challenges his.. sadly, to no avail.

A lot of fun, and in the car I discussed whether the nephew and I could see ourselves collecting a retinue for the game.

At first I was thinking 'Dark Ages' using Gripping Beast, then potentially, Norman period using the Conquest Games plastics. He however, is keen to do something Scottish around 1300 for the Wars of Independence. If we were to look at the Fireforge plastics, then they could do for 1300.

Ok, the germination of an idea..   and incidentally, when I looked through the various sprues lurking around the place, I had acquired a single sprue of Fireforge Sergeants some time ago, that on close inspection, are ideal, in period and very nice models with tons of variety. But the 'Fierce Foot' from the Scottish list are a little more tricky.  I looked at the Frostgrave Barbarians... too hairy. So I then thought about using Gripping Beast Vikings as Islesmen.

Here's how they turned out. Basing I am still not decided on. The pictures are also somewhat washed out in artificial light.



3 comments:

  1. So rather than take the King's shilling the Scots are taking the Queen's penny ... strangely appropriate.

    I must admit to missing the wargame clubs in the UK, Tring in particular. A ripping wargame on a Friday night followed by two quick pints on the way home was the way to set the weekend off on the right foot!

    Figures are looking good mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Brucie would have said: "Didn't he do well"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys, quite fun to do. I should really be painting 15mm ancients you know.

    ReplyDelete